Sunday, January 17, 2010

Avatar craze

So I dropped off two of my kids today to see Avatar at a screen that was showing it in IMAX. We were there 40 minutes early, had pre-ordered the tickets, and the line for the movie was wrapped around the back concession stand. This movie's appeal is unreal. Despite the comparisons to Pocahontas and Dances With Wolves, people love this film. When will the crowds abate? The idea that Cameron's going to make 2 more of these bad boys is mind-blowing for a couple reasons, the least of which is the money it will make him. How about the technology? If this film looks this incredible now, imagine what A2 will look like? What about A3? Will Cameron go the Lucas route? That is to say, if George is to be believed, purposely making all movies in the series with similar FX so they look familial? I doubt it. This guy opened up Pandora's Box (I know, bad intended pun...so sue me) with this flick. I can't wait to see what movies look like a year from now. I liked it so much I changed my avatar, too.

4 comments:

La Moora said...

I need a position of reference. If I thought Titanic sucked (which I did), will I also dislike Avatar?

Anonymous said...

Well. they're not exactly the same genre, are they? I mean, one's a historical-fiction account of an actual event with a love story threaded into it. The other is a sci-fi piece that brings you into a completely foreign world, though if you ever saw the Abyss, you'll recognize some visual cues (as well as musical strains of My Heart Will Go On, ie, the Titanic theme). I'd say go and see it to judge for yourself.

Mike P said...

Hi, Joe! Just found out about the blog. We wanted to see the flick in IMAX 3-D, but at $21 per ticket, I'll have to settle for "regular" 3-D at the local cineplex. How did you see it, and does it really matter?

I wasn't impressed by the previews so I hope the movie will blow me away. I find the lower my expectations going in, the better the experience (with very few exceptions)!

Tho the blog is hard on my 40+ yr. old peepers (white type on black background? Where's the A.D.? lol) I liked what I read and wish you the very best of success with your books! (I also wish you the best with the studio...If they ever want a west coast artist, I know someone who's pretty good!) :-)

Take care,
Mike Pascale

Joe Borri said...

Mike,
I wish I could remember my password. I keep having to post anonymous! Anyway, there's a smaller IMAX screen in Livonia and it was well worth it. Seriously, the FX were ridiculous. You can't believe what you're seeing Mike. It's as if you're in the scene. I agree, too. I hate waiting for a movie when it's hyped so much, but this one is MEGA-hyped. See it. Spend the money. YOU DO NOT want to see it in 2D.

Where are you and what are you doing these days? The west coast is in my territory. Are you an AD still? FB me if you can and give me the low-down on anything and everything you're doing. Check out my site www.joeborri.net. The hosting contract is up at the end of the month, and I don't feel like spending $140 on a static site. I've not had another book or update in quite some time, so I renewed the domain but might wait until I get published (God willing) before reposting everything. Take care Mike. Joe