Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Dark Knight


Okay, I just got back from The Dark Night at the IMAX at Henry Ford. HOLEEEEE CRRRAPPPOLA!!! One of the only movies I've ever seen that has lived up to the hype! I won't bore you with my review, because I know I'm late to the party, but some impressions:

*IMAX!-Can't imagine seeing this film on anything other than IMAX. Absolutely visually assaulting. Tremendous cinematography, design, the whole thing.
*Heath Ledger-Honestly, I think even had he lived, this performance would go down as one of the absolute most memorable one on screen. Riveting, compelling and as complex as any method actor's performance. What a shame he died, and wasn't able to witness the celebration for his performance come Oscar time. I would hate to be an actor nominated this year in a best supporting role.
*Screenplay-What a great story. I told the buddy I went with, that it seems to me when they hit a point in the script that required drama or sensitivity, they went a 180. This especially true with the Joker. Great lines, tension, playful repartee between characters.
*Cast-Freeman and Caine, can't beat them. Bale is sensational, although I would prefer his voice be a little less forced. I actually like Keaton's Batman voice a bit better. But it's what he does with his face that makes it so watchable. That Maggie Gyllenhall, strange looking woman, and I almost wonder if they used her instead of a more classically beautiful actress who could've proven too distracting and not "complex" enough for a man of Wayne's tastes. Aaron Eckhart was very good, as was Gary Oldman, whose ability to shape-shift into roles as varied as he's played is nothing short of staggering.
*Sound-The use of natural sound, and high-pitched noise to convey terror, pain, sorrow was a real throwback. IMAX enhanced it dramatically.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
TOM LONG, local movie reviewer from The Detroit News, gave this a B-!!! WTF movie was he watching? This guy also gave "Over Her Dead Body" with Eva Longoria-Parker the same grade. Huh? He said not enough Ledger, too long and Batman too dark and serious. Right. Sorry Tom,you are wrong on all counts. And the restrained use of Ledger was genius as the anticipation of his re-appearances was made even more tantalizing and anticipated.

No comments: