Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kerrytown BookFest and Hemingway


I've been invited to be on a panel of short story writers at next week's Kerrytown BookFest in Ann Arbor. This is my first time being on any kind of panel, and to be honest, I have no idea what to expect. Oh, I'm sure there will be a few folks that might ask a question or two, most likely regarding how to get published, process, etc. But in terms of reception, not a clue if anyone there will have ever picked up my book for other than a cursory glance. The other authors on the panel are Peter Ho Davies, Dorene O'Brien & Lolita Hernandez. Dorene is a good friend, and I'm hopeful the other two are as giving and supportive as she has been.

I also was asked to judge a cover contest for The Nick Adams Stories, submitted by high school students. There was a lot of great design work at hand, and I had the opportunity to do that alongside Steve (forgot his last name-sorry Steve!) at Huron River Press and get this--Edward Hemingway, a descendant of Ernest! I believe Edward is a children's book illustrator. In any case, that was a lot of fun, too.

Please come to the event and say hello this Sunday, September 7th. The info is linked on the title. The book cover award winner is being presented at 11 am, but the panel is at 1 pm and books are available for signing and purchase. Hope to see you there.

2 comments:

Joe Boland said...

Joe: The panel was terrific. It was good to meet you.

Joe Borri said...

Joe,
You too. I appreciate you taking the time to sit through it and to say hello. Hopefully we can help each other out in the future. Take care.
Joe